Friday, December 4, 2015

The Policy



Recently the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints changed its policy regarding same-sex marriage and its relationship to families of same-sex marriage.  Here is my take on the policy change.


I'm not going to express myself very precisely or succinctly, but that's not my style anyway, so I'll just clumsily type away and hope the spirit of what I'm trying to say can get through and not be misinterpreted as hostile, antagonistic, prideful, defensive, or posturing expression of ignorance or attention seeking. I don't feel that way at all. Here goes...


Politics often seem impersonal to me, with its legal jargon and all, phrase like "18 years old". I see the recent change in policy as a diplomatic statement from one political entity to another, basically between kingdoms. If the international organization of the Church and a government were two people instead of organizations, each of them is entitled to their own "beliefs" and personal boundaries. I suppose diplomatic relations between governments would sometimes require hard lines, just as some interpersonal relationships do. This allows the two entities to coexist and hopefully stay civil. Perhaps there actually is significant legal threat to the Church that I'm not aware of. In that case, it seems wise to establish and hold clear diplomacy lines. So that's my thought on official policies, which any organization can enact. Its a policy. Policy isn't doctrine, but the doctrine didn't change anyway. The doctrines were already in place and reiterated fairly often over the past decades. 


Now here's another thought: I can think of examples in times past when God has reproved with sharpness, laid down commandments and enforced them with sometimes drastic consequences. I know I've felt His sharp spiritual reproof at times in my own life. But He shows forth afterwards an increase of love to others and me, to show that His faithfulness is stronger even than death. Whether or not the change in policy was only political in nature, it still may feel like extremely sharp reproof to some.  And are we trying to make enemies?  I don't believe we are.


So where is the "increase of love" which ought to follow reproof (see D&C 121:43)? It may be realized after this life or when the Savior comes. For the time being, I have taken the policy change as an invitation to personally try harder to be God's hands, to show an increase of love, greater empathy, support, and compassion. I'm not as good at this as others are. I'm impressed with others who have put a human-ness on what otherwise is policy/politics. The policy change has given them and me an opportunity to become more Christlike. A few months before the policy change was publicized, I think there was some statement from the Church or one of the Church leaders about how members can express disagreement over the Church's policies/politics, as if to give room for a loophole. So am I stretching to find a loophole? Perhaps. And what if love can be the loophole? 


We actually have an excellent example in the Book of Mormon of a similar situation. The 2,000 stripling warriors completely honored their parents and the kingdom by taking the approach opposite their parents' "Policy". Did they condemn their parents for their oath? Not at all. The righteousness and courage of the 2,000 actually allowed their parents to keep their oath, which their parents made for their own personal reasons. They honored their parent's policy. So what is the parallel for me? The Church changed its policy for its own personal reasons, but are Church leaders really completely unfeeling and unaware? I haven't had any personal experience to indicate this. To the contrary, I've heard personal accounts of and witnessed public expressions of great compassion, solidarity, and encouragement from Church leaders, as well as admitted ignorance and questions, but also great effort and desire to understand. I'm certain some of them have wept more than once this past month. Perhaps they are not free to soften the policy, either due to legal ramifications down the road or divine directions? 


Regardless, what is my part in all this? Am I a government or an international organization? No. Did I put the policy in place? No. I am as one of the 2,000 stripling warriors. I see this as an invitation to actually do what I have personally covenanted to do and been invited and inspired to do by countless scriptures, promptings, and words of these very leaders in times past. I can become the Lord's hands, show forth an increase of love myself, lest I am esteemed to be an enemy, pray even more earnestly for charity, the pure love of Christ that endures forever. I believe as a result of this policy change, some will grow even closer to God, and become even more "disposed to look with compassion on perishing souls", more pure, with hearts knit together in unity and love. I've found that I actually have more oil in my own lamp than I realized. 


Others may miss this opportunity to increase in love. I really feel that those who seek for greater truth and light will find what they seek, and I believe it is in the middle, where the Mediator is. For me, the straight and narrow path is the fine line between mercy bordering on permissiveness and righteousness bordering on self-righteousness. Either extreme is growing distasteful to me, and yet God has blessed and blesses my own broken road... Is my "love unfeigned" yet? Am I still gratifying my pride or my "vain ambition"? Am I completely "without hypocrisy and without guile"? Hah, nope, and yep, and nope! I covenanted to mourn with those that mourn and comfort those who stand in need of comfort, whether they be on one side of the path or the other. I can do better at empathizing and supporting both LGBT friends and strangers on the one hand and LDS leaders and "the household of faith" on the other hand. 


In summary, I sustain and love my Priesthood leaders.  I'm glad that I'm responsible for my own efforts within my own sphere and not bigger more complex decisions in play in global politics and the culmination of the latter-day countdown.


I hope this perspective is helpful or enlightening for somebody. Maybe there's a better way to reason this through.  


"Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it." -Rumi

No comments: